Happy Halloween to you! I hope you have an enjoyable weekend, whatever you’re up to.
I have been spending today baking in preparation for a small Halloween party we’re hosting tomorrow evening. Here’s a little preview of what our guests will be eating:
- Cornbread (in honour of our recent trip to the Deep South)
- Tortilla chips with guacamouldy
- Bone-shaped cheese pastries (made from frozen puff pastry – very similar to these)
- Cheese and crackers
- Chocolate cookies with Halloween-coloured Smarties in (I had to buy a big tube of Smarties, and then pick out all the green, orange, brown and purple ones. Anyone want the pink, yellow and blue ones?)
- Vanilla fairy cakes with chocolate spiders on top (I’m making the spiders from chocolate buttons and orange Matchmakers)
- Snake eggs (from M&S – essentially these are purple Mini Eggs)
- Grapes (or ‘eyeballs’ if you’re trying to spook them up a little…)
We also have some blackcurrant brew, again from M&S. This came in a set of four glass bottles (like a pack of beer) and was not sold as being in any way connected to Halloween, but it’s purple and has nice illustrations on, plus it contains the word ‘brew’. So it counts!
I’m pleased with how the chocolate cookies, pictured above, have come out. The food colouring on the Smarties seemed to struggle a bit with being baked, and the overall effect is that the Smarties look a little washed out and distressed – which I think lends them a good look for Halloween. Anyway, I’ve got more baking to do – back to the kitchen I go…