I thought it would be ever so quick and simple to make, but it turns out it’s rather time-consuming. First I had to draft a template and gather the various supplies (fabric of course, plus tape or bias binding). Then I made a prototype, to work out what the best size and spacing would be. I altered that a bit, and then I started on the real thing.
So far I’ve made three lots of bunting – two of the grey one you can see here, and then a brown one. With this being the year of the Diamond Jubilee/London Olympic Games/whatever else is going on, I’m planning to make some in rather more patriotic colours as well. I’ve got some nice stripey fabrics, some with red and white, and some with blue and white
At first, I had planned to make about ten sets, but it’s taking so long that I’m wondering if my patience will run out before then. First I cut up the triangles, then I ironed them, pinning them together in pairs (with the right side of the fabric facing inwards). I sewed down the long sides of each triangle, leaving the top open so that I could then turn them right side out. That bit is a bit of a faff – it’s quite fiddly work trying to turn out the pointy bit of the bunting (alas, comments have been already about the fact that they don’t end in a particularly pointy point, but I have done my best…). After that they need ironing again, and then pinning along a length of tape or bias binding. Bias binding is a little easier to work with as it folds so readily, but I was able to get a much better price on a length of 50m of tape (this was back in the time when I thought I would EASILY make 50m worth of bunting) and so that’s what I’ve been using most of the time. You fold the tape in half, so that it covers the open edges on the short (top) bit of each triangle. Then you have to sew all the way along the tape – which again is quite fiddly as it’s quite a narrow strip by this stage.
Still, despite the time it’s taken, I’m happy with how the first few lots have turned out. I don’t think my career in bunting production is going to be quite as lucrative as I’d hoped though – I’d have to charge a lot to really make it worth my while, and I think that would put people off buying it altogether.
(I should mention that the kitchen in the picture isn’t mine – thank you to my mother, who both let me use her kitchen to take pictures, and stood holding up the other ending of the bunting while I did so.)